January 8, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

1 butternut squash (2 lb)

2 TB Vegetable oil

1c. chopped onion

½ tsp. chopped garlic

½ c. thinly sliced carrots

½ tsp ground cumin (I find that to spicy for myself so I use ¼ instead)

½ tsp salt & ½ tsp pepper

3 c. chicken stock

¼ c. heavy cream (I will use a ½ c. because I don’t like my soup so thick. My friend has substituted the cream for coconut milk and she really likes it)

Cut squash into 1 “square cubes(don’t forget to take out the seeds). Chop onions and carrots also. In a large pot heat oil over med heat. Add onions and garlic and cook. Stirring until they are brown, for about 5 mins. Add carrots and cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 min. and then add squash and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15- 20 mins.( stirring occasionally) or until the squash is tender. Remove from the heat. Puree soup until it is smooth. Put in serving bowl (or back in pot) and add cream. Serve and enjoy.

submitted by Karolyn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails