February 26, 2008

Brazilian Black Bean Stew

This meal is one of our favorites. I stumbles across it on allrecipes dot com a few months ago and the fam just loves it. It's a bit spicy (because of the chorizo) so little ones might not love it. My tweenager and hubby are always asking me to make it though so I usually just make the little ones something separate. It's not terribly easy, but it's so worth the little bit of work. It's gotten really good ratings at allrecipes.

Brazilian Black Bean Stew
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 pound chorizo sausage,
chopped
1/3 pound cooked ham,
chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (1 pound) sweet potatoes,
peeled and diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced
tomatoes with juice
1 small hot green chile pepper,
diced
1 1/2 cups water
2 (16 ounce) cans black beans,
rinsed and drained
1 mango - peeled, seeded and
diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the chorizo and ham 2 to 3 minutes. Place the onion in the pot, and cook until tender. Stir in garlic, and cook until tender, then mix in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, chile pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
2. Stir the beans into the pot, and cook uncovered until heated through. Mix in the mango and cilantro, and season with salt.


I made a few changes when I made it: I cooked it in my crock pot after I cooked the meats. It went on with raw potatoes around noon and was ready by dinner. I also used regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes because I didn’t have sweet taters. The cilantro and mango are so delicious with this. Enjoy!

~*Stepherz~*

2 comments:

Tori :) said...

That sounds great Steph! THanks!!

Chellie said...

Holy YUM!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails